How do I dispute a charge on my Chase card?« Back to Questions List

I want to file a dispute on a purchase that showed up a while ago on my Chase card (it’s a credit card, by the way). How can I go about this?
Posted by jwrighte
Asked on January 20, 2017 9:48 pm

The first step you want to take is dependent on whether the transaction was a valid sale or if you suspect it was fraudulent.

If it was valid, but you want to return the item or were unsatisfied with the product, consult the business’s policies. See if your purchase qualifies for a refund. If so, you should contact the merchant and attempt to secure a refund through their prescribed return channel.

If you suspect that the sale is fraudulent, start by reviewing the transaction carefully to be confident that it is, in fact, probable fraud.

Even if the billing descriptor (the seller’s name as it appears on your statement) doesn’t look familiar, compare the charge to any recent purchases you made. You can even search for the seller’s name online to see if it is associated with a business you recognize.

Next, check with anyone who has access to the card. This includes family, friends, and co-workers—anyone who could potentially use the card without your knowing. Remember that even if you didn’t personally authorize it, the sale may not be considered fraud.

Failing this, your next step should be to contact the merchant. Calmly and thoroughly explain the situation, relaying that you nor anyone with valid access to your card authorized the sale, and you believe it was made by a fraudster. In many cases, the retailer will be happy to overturn the transaction for you.

If you still cannot receive a satisfactory resolution, then we recommend you file a claim with eConsumer Services®. We serve as a mediator between consumers, banks, and merchants to achieve a satisfactory result for everyone involved.

Fill out a claim form—it takes less than five minutes—and we’ll get to work on your behalf.

Posted by jwrighte
Answered On January 20, 2017 9:53 pm